So… I’ve been really bad about blogging. It’s not that I don’t have anything to say, it’s that I’ve been cooking the same few dishes over and over and over. I’m in a food slump.
This happens each year (each season, in fact) — but it catches me off guard every time. So, in honor of my fall transition cooking, a few favorites of late:
- “Cheese” sauce from OhSheGlows — I’ve tried both the pumpkin and butternut squash version. Both are amazing. I’ve had it two ways: with brown rice and broccoli, and with brown rice pasta and kale. It’s like the perfect comfort food, only it’s good for you.
- Sweet potato and black bean chili from Eating Well. This is my stand-by dish as soon as it gets cold — it’s yummy and perfect to take to work for lunch. I’ve played around with a gazillion versions of the recipe and can offer two tips: 1. add some chopped kale and 2. use Muir Glen fire-roasted chopped tomatoes.
– To satisfy my occasional sweet tooth, I’ve been enjoying the gluten-free, flourless chocolate cookies from O Cafe on 12th Street in the West Village. Nomnomnomnomnom.
But — I’ve gotta get out of my rut. So, some recipes I’m looking forward to trying:
- Broccoli-basic mac and cheese from 101 Cookbooks
– Mushroom stroganoff from Choosing Raw
– and definitely something with tempeh. I miss tempeh.